Monday, October 30, 2006

Thanksgiving trial run

Having never really prepared a turkey on my own before, or all the accoutrements, I decided to get a bone-in turkey breast and make some fixins this weekend. I had a delightful 6.3 pound breast that apparently needed lots of weird gross juices added to it, which I had to pour out of the cavity and rinse thoroughly. The dog was VERY interested in these smells. Anyways, I seasoned said bird with salt, pepper, and slathered some butter all over it. Then tossed an onion in the small cavity and slung it in a 325 deg. oven. It needed about 3 and a quarter hours until it reached 170 degs internally.

Meanwhile, I prepared some stuffing/dressing. I cheated - I simply softened an onion and some celery in some butter with salt/pepper, then tossed in about 3 c of cubed Pepperidge Farm seasoned stuffing mix and added the requisite amount of chicken broth. Toss in a casserole dish, and it baked alongside the turkey for the last hour or so.

Additionally meanwhile, I made some mashed potatoes. I'm not going to explain how to make potatoes. If you need assistance, see the Food Network homepage.

And finally, I made gravy with the turkey drippings. Drippings, plus flour, mix until flour is unfloury, add chicken broth (or turkey broth) and in my case, pepper and wine. A bit too much wine, so I had to cook it a bit longer and add more broth, but it was still pretty good.

c'est fin.

No comments: