Thursday, December 28, 2006

Curry in not so much of a hurry

Nigella inspired me to make a chicken curry for dinner for R, myself, and little brother last night. For my version of the dish, I first browned about 2 1/2 lbs of chicken breasts in a bit of oil. Once brown, they were set aside on a plate. In the remaining oil, I sauteed two finely chopped onions until soft. I then added about 1 tsp of red pepper flakes, 2 tsp cumin, 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander, 1 1/2 tsp ground cardomon, salt, pepper, and 5 minced garlic cloves. I let the spices toast a bit, then put in about 1 1/2 c Greek yogurt, 1/2 c heavy cream, 1 c chicken stock, a cinnamon stick, 1 1/2 tsp garam masala, a tiny bit of sugar, and more salt/pepper. I added the chicken back in and cooked at a low bubble until the chicken was cooked through.

Meanwhile, I sauteed another small onion, finely chopped, in a few tbsp of butter in a medium saucepan with some salt and pepper. I then added 3 c uncooked basmati rice (this was to last several meals) and let that toast for a bit. I then added about 4 c water and 1 1/2 c chicken stock and cooked the rice for about 20 min, then let it sit in its pan off the heat, covered, until we were ready to eat. Delish.

Serve topped with some sliced almonds and you're off.

No comments: