Monday, December 11, 2006

Mmm...roast beast....

So, I purchased a giant eye of round roast over the weekend. Half went into the freezer and the other half was gently roasted in the oven and made part of a delicious Sunday roast, with potatoes, gravy, and roasted asparagus. And knotted yeast rolls, which I purchased from the fab Fresh Market and are not in the picture sadly.

For the roast, I smashed four cloves of garlic and quartered (did not peel) an onion. I spread a tiny bit of butter on the roast, sprinkled liberally with salt and pepper, and rested it on top of the onions and garlic. It was placed in a 325 deg oven for about 2 1/2 hours. We generally like our roast beast at medium and I accidently let it go to 156 deg before I removed it from the oven, so by the time it had rested and I had made gravy, it had gone beyond the desired medium doneness at 160 deg. Oh well. Live and learn. While it rested, I boiled up the smashed potatoes and roasted the asparagus. Delish.

No comments: