Monday, January 29, 2007

Long live the mock TV dinner

I apologize for my absence. What with the brain crisis and the home buying and what not, it's been a dull food month. However, I made a TV dinner tribute last night - Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and peapods. R demurred on the peapods, as they are green and, therefore, evil.

I relied on an Emeril recipe. You basically make little meat patties full of beef, pork, onions, bacon, and lovely flavorings like Worcestershire, Dijon mustard, garlic, etc. You make a mushroom gravy. You make luscious mashed potatoes. And then you eat it.


I must admit, I wasn't wild on the Salisbury steak itself. It was a bit too burgery - a little tough. If I were to make something like this again, I'd make it more like a meatloaf - a little more egg, add some breadcrumbs, lighten it up a bit, so the gravy can actually permeate the meat. Now, the gravy - that I did enjoy. It was a bit too mushroomy at first, but with some additional beef broth and a dash of Worcestershire, it was delish.

No comments: