Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Weekend partay

Had a schmall partay yesterday. Made some beef (BEEF!) and whoopie pies, both recipes I grabbed from other food blogs. The beef was the Chipotle Maple BBQ Beef Brisket from Wellfed, the whoopie pies came from Eat With Me.

Here's the precooked beef. I can't even show the post-cooked beef - things went awry. My pan basically annihilated the meat. I was able to salvage it, but only by cutting off the outside bits of meat. I'm not entirely sure what or how it happened. It was pretty good, and the sauce was nice. I did not use 3 chipotles for fear it would be too hot (I've had issues with over-chipotling in the past) but it definitely would NOT be too hot, this sauce barely had any heat at all, so go forth and use all three with no fear. I just served with some cheap-o on sale hamburger buns, pasta salad, sister-in-law's antipasto pasta salad, and the whoopie pies.

The whoopie pies came out well. On the left, a large pile of whoopie pies awaiting their mascarpone-cream filling.




On the right, the finished product. These were flavored with Kahlua, but you couldn't really taste it. In the future, I might just skip the Kahlua in the cake, and put Bailey's or something fun in the filling. Yum. Yum-O even.

1 comment:

ScottE. said...

You're whoopie pies turned out great! I had a few left over for a gathering this weekend and everyone loved them. I feel the same way about the Kahlua. You just don't taste it. The Bailey's might be nice in the filling. Or some strong coffee in the cakes?!