Monday, November 05, 2007

I've got a scone in my oven...heh heh

Thanks to Ms. S for the inspirational title...I needed to make my own breakfasts this week, and neither bagels, nor oatmeal were doing much for me. So I bucked up and baked some scones. I flipped through my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks and found a recipe for Maple Oatmeal scones in The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. It called for whole wheat flour, which I didn't have. It also called for a half cup of maple syrup which, in my mind, is a little too much syrup. A little maple flavor goes a long way in my book. So, I improvised. I, obviously, kept the required pound of butter. I only put in about 2 or 3 tbsp of syrup. I added a little brown sugar. And cinnamon. And pecans. And a LOT more oatmeal. The original recipe wanted 3 1/2 c white flour, 1 c wheat, and 1 c oats. I put in about 4 c white flour and 2 1/2 c oats. They are pretty tasty. Again, I don't really need the mapley-ness. In the future, I'll just use a bit of brown sugar and that will be it. But they'll get me through the week!

1 comment:

Jules said...

lurve butter. lurve maple.