Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Our child-like dinner

Mmm. Grilled cheese and tomato soup. V. homey, v. good on a cold night. I was flipping through some old Everyday Food magazines and came across a recipe for homemade tomato soup. I was intrigued. I've never been a huge fan of tomato soup out of a can - it's a bit too smooth, a bit too bland. This one looked like it would have a bit of texture and flavor, and I knew I could jazz it up myself. I added red pepper flakes with the sauteed onion. I also used an Italian spice mix instead of just thyme. I used lots of black pepper. And, since I apparently went heavy on the salt, I added in quite a bit of milk at the end (which made it creamier AND balanced out the ridiculous salty taste). Serve up with some lovely grilled cheese on the side (with ham for Mr. Carnivore), and it was quite delish.

1 comment:

Livin' On Hollywood said...

I love this dinner! Every time we have it, though, it must be "declared", as in, "I declare tonight to be a grilled cheese & tomato soup night!" And then it is so.

You have taken this meal one step further, however, by actually making the soup. We usually go for the canned stuff, although I recently discovered those box soups (who'da thought - soup in a box?) and they're pretty good.