Tuesday, November 11, 2008

R birthday dinner

Mr. R wanted tacos for his birthday, so tacos he got. He did let me "glam" them up a bit by using a flat-iron steak for the tacos and jazzing up the plate with some beans and spanish (ish) rice. I know I've written of our taco/fajita/burrito love before, but I don't think I've ever covered my loves for flavored rice AND cast iron. So off we go!

First, for our fiesta rice, take a bit of olive oil and a diced bell pepper and onion and let that sizzle away until softened.


The add your rice (I usually let that tan up in the hot oil before adding liquid) and water or water-like products - in my case, half water, half tomato juice and salsa juice


20 minutes later, voila!


Now, onto cast iron. Mrs. Elle has a fine envy-inspiring collection of cast iron now, but for me, I make do with my one large skillet. Hello friend. Here, my friend is heating up.


And gets wicked hot! In you go, friendly flat iron steak - sizzle!


I served the steak very thinly sliced with onions and peppers and the traditional sides of cheese, sour cream, and salsa. It was a very tasty dinner!

No comments: