Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thanksgiving trial run

I decided I wanted a roasted chicken and fixings for dinner on Sunday so I went to the local grocery store to take advantage of BOGO roasting chickens.

First, I made a stuffing to stuff the chicken - bread cubes, celery, onion, and what turned out to be gross chicken stock (I made it from the chicken neck and other innards, it tasted yucky but I didn't know that until after the fact)


Here is the lovely pale chicken in its too small roasting pan, resting on a bed of onions, garlic, and celery.



A "spice" mix of salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning and the olive oil to baste the chicken


A side dish of asparagus is oiled, salted, peppered and awaiting the oven.


Here's the manhandled carved turkey (there was an incident with the carving). Mashed potatoes in the background, asparagus on the side.


A lovely plate of ok chicken, good potatoes, yucky stuffing, and fine asparagus.


All in all, it was an OK meal. Not great. The chicken tasted a bit weird, the stuffing was gross due to that nasty broth. The veg were fine. The gravy was fine.

Must work on my A game before Thanksgiving!

No comments: