Thursday, October 02, 2008

Homemade applesauce

I went to Buffalo for a no-purpose visit last weekend. As part of our weekend of eating lovely food and drinking lovely beer, we also went apple picking at Becker Farms with Mrs. K and her lovely daughters and Mr. & Mrs. M&A and their lovely baby. I believe a good time was had by all, I particularly enjoying getting to PET GOATS! They were super cute. I loved them. I wanted to take one home. However, I don't think Miss M's mom and dad would have liked that. Oh well.

Anyways, I ended up with a half-bushel of apples, so now I'm finally getting around to doing something with them. I peeled/sliced/froze about 1/3 of the apples I picked, and I took another 8 of them last night and made applesauce. I wanted applesauce that was the same as the applesauce Miss M's mother had made on Saturday night because it was A-MAZ-ING! So, I did my best and it was pretty darn good, I must say.

First, 8 large apples were peeled and chopped and put into a pan with about a half inch of water. I had the heat on around medium to medium-high

Then, because I can't help myself, I added a pinch of salt.


After about 10 minutes, the apples were ROILING in the pan. So I turned it down a bit.


This was after 20 minutes - I decided that was long enough, they were very soft. I probably could have gone with 15 minutes.


Miss M's mother uses a food mill, but I don't have one, so I mashed the apples with a potato masher to get some good texture. I then added about 2/3 c brown sugar and close to 2 tsp cinnamon. I heart cinnamon.


And there you have it. There were still a few big lumps of apple, but they are soft, and I don't mind. It had good texture otherwise. And was VERY tasty - much better than jarred sauce. I cannot wait to serve it with pork this weekend!

No comments: