Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Chicken casserole - blast from the past

I had a sudden craving for my grandmother's chicken casserole this week - so I hopped to it and made it.

As so many recipes start out, I sauteed some celery and onions in a pan - eventually seasoning with salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of poultry seasoning for kicks.


Meanwhile, the crowning glory and glue of all casseroles, cream of whatever soups - in my case a can each of chicken and mushroom. So appetizing to view, right?


I took about 1.2 lbs of chicken and roasted it with a bit of salt and pepper, then cubed it for the casserole. The softened celery and onion went in the bowl as well.


And a VERY generous gloop of Miracle Whip - the tangy zip makes the casserole. Even if you hate Miracle Whip, you shouldn't shy away from a recipe like this, it adds good flavor.

I added in some frozen peas then dished the mixture between two casserole dishes.


Do not, repeat, do NOT omit the crunchy topping - cornflakes and sliced almonds mixed with some melted butter.


Bake at 375 degrees until browned and bubbly. I put foil over the top for the last 15 minutes or so to prevent the top from overbrowning.

Mmm. A childhood (and adulthood) favorite. I'm done with summer - onto the season of soups, stews, and warming casseroles. I may try my hand at the much-maligned tater tot casserole in the future - there's something very appealing to be about using tots in a meal...

No comments: