Monday, September 29, 2008

14 layer bars! Ridiculous!

I was out of work a day last week because I felt quite yucky, but by afternoon, I felt a baking urge coming on. I had little in the house to work with - some oatmeal, some chocolate, some nuts, some butter. I went to the Food Network site and started browsing around...and found a recipe for 14 layer bars - much more grand than the standard 7 layer bar. I was intrigued as to whether it would be good or not, so I plowed ahead and made them.

I split these between two 8-inch baking dishes - one would stay behind with Mr. R and one would go with me to B-lo.

At its base - butter, graham cracker crumbs, vanilla wafer crumbs, chocolate graham cracker crumbs:


Then coconut and oats:

Then the chips - butterscotch, peanut butter, and chocolate:

Nuts! In my case, pecans, walnuts, and sliced almonds:

And finally, blobs of cream cheese and a light coating of sweetened condensed milk:

Bake in the oven until golden and voila - 14 layer bars.


I have to admit, I did not actually try them. I was too full to try them in B-lo, and by the time I got back to Cbus, Mr. R had eaten them all. They were VERY easy to make and may make a reappearance at a football party in the future - throw together baking is the way to go, I think.

No comments: