Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The pie of shepherds

So, I got this month's Everyday Food, which featured a variety of one-pot comfort dinners, including a version of shepherd's pie. I didn't really LOVE everything about that recipe, nor any other recipes I tracked down, so with the help of Miss M, I Macguyver'ed up a recipe that was pretty darn tasty.

First, my mirepoix plus garlic. I did have more onions, but I'd already put them in the pan before I took the picture.


Then, as so many of my recipes start, saute onions in a little olive oil. Plus a random carrot and some celery accidentally.


Meanwhile, I got 2 pounds of peeled, chopped Russet potatoes going in some salted water.


After 10 minutes, I added in the carrots and celery along with some salt and pepper.


Then two cloves of chopped garlic and a little over a pound of ground beef - this was actually a coarsely-ground chuck. When the beef was about halfway browned, I added some dried thyme and rosemary.


Once the beef is browned, I added in a heaping teaspoonful of tomato paste - I didn't want this tasting too "Italian-y" so I didn't want to overdo it on tomato flavor. And some lovely Worcestershire sauce - several good squirts. Then, I added about 1/4 c of flour, and let that cook for a bit. Then I poured in a cup of beef broth and let that simmer until thickened.


Meanwhile, the potatoes were done - time to mash with some butter, milk and grated cheddar.



Back in the other pan, I added in several handfuls of frozen peas and got those warmed through. Then it was time to assemble - ladle the stew into a casserole dish...


And top with mashed potatoes - I dragged a fork through the top of the potatoes for a decorative flair.

Then I threw on some more cheese and put it in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes - put the broiler on for the last 4-5 minutes. Mmm...crispy top.


This tasted really good, even if it didn't look very pretty.


My only changes in the future - let the carrots and vegetables saute for a lot longer - they were a bit crunchy; add more peas (my mother was visiting, I didn't want to overdo it with green veggies); the ground beef was fine, but I know it would be super delicious with some leftover brisket or chuck roast; definitely let the potatoes get crispier on top BEFORE adding the cheese. This was a very good dinner though, and I look forward to making it again through the winter.

2 comments:

Mo said...

You have to try it with parsnips mashed into the potatoes too!

MBC said...

Parsnips are evil to me. They ruined a large batch of chicken stock with their bitterness. I'm not their friend just yet.