Monday, September 29, 2008

Quick bread

After a lovely weekend in B-lo, I got home and was flipping through the newest Southern Living and found an article on quick breads - breads that don't require yeast to rise - and the recipe for Southern Soda Bread jumped out at me for some reason. I realized I had all the ingredients, so set about making it, and within 50 minutes of seeing the article, the bread was cooling on the counter.

Even better, I didn't need the big mixer. In my lovely Nigella mixing bowl, I mixed the flour, sugar, salt, powder, soda, and eventually egg, butter, and buttermilk.


Then baked...it took quite a bit longer than the recipe's required 30-35 minutes - mine was more like 45-48 minutes. I ended up buttering the top to get it a bit browner.


I had some for breakfast this morning, just lightly toasted and buttered. It was pretty good. I'm not sure why anyone thinks this has anything to do with Irish soda bread (which contains raisins - yuck - and caraway seeds) but it was a nice, very easy bread to whip together on a whim and have for morning breakfasts.

No comments: