Saturday, May 06, 2006

Breakfast on the Run

As some of y'all know, I'm two exams and six days away from relaxing on a fishing boat with my father and calling myself a 2L. The difference between 1L and 2L can only be understood by those who have experienced it (directly or indirectly through a loved one), but sufficed to say, it's huge.

In the meantime, unfortunately, I don't have a boatload of time for any cooking. Hence, the huge amounts of the previous recipes I posted, which allowed me to eat all week without resorting to Wendy's. (Though, being a 24-year-old and Ohio-borne boy, I do anyway.) Even more unfortunately (for both me and this blog's First Dog), my gameday study habits usually send me into the Law School no later than 6am on the day of the exam. If you are going to keep that schedule, solid breakfast food is a must. Enter: portable Denver omelettes. High-culinary? No. High taste and high energy? Absolutely.

Start with store-bought bagels - whatever savoury variety you like, though as my father's son I prefer those of the everything variety. Obviously, bagel store bagels are best; since I don't have time to go to the bagel store every evening for a fresh one, I rely on the good folks at Thomas or Pepperidge Farm. Toast according to your taste (I prefer them just short of burnt), and add a VERY thin layer of butter for flavor. The goal is to eat these on the run or in the car; too much butter and the innards will go flying.

Now, for our filling. Take two large eggs and scramble them quickly in a small bowl, adding a splash of water. Water, you say? Yes, water, not milk; water will steam and make the eggs fluffy, while milk simply softens the flavor of the eggs. And yes, this happens in real omelettes too. (That's two semi-scientific explanations in one entry. I kinda feel like Alton Brown.) Now, for your omelet filling. Since this is a Denver omelet (Western omelet to some), we're going to add a half-handful of diced ham, one diced slice apiece of red onion and bell pepper, and another half-handful of Mexican shredded cheese, and since I'm a spiceaholic, a healthy splash of Texas Pete. Mix well. (Oh man...pre-cooked ham, pre-shredded cheese, commercial hot sauce...I just went from Alton to Sandra Lee. Please shoot me.)

Nuke your egg bowl for around two and half minutes (just enough to ensure no Mississippians are harmed); obviously, this will vary based on your nuker. Once the mixture is completely cooked with no runny egg, use your mixing fork to scoop it out in one piece onto the bagel. Ouila! You're on your way out the door. (Don't forget to fill that dirty bowl with soapy water; cooked egg is a bitch to clean.)

Now, like I said, this isn't a groundbreaking recipe. But unlike most portable breakfasts, it's high in both flavor and protein, giving you energy to help you get through whatever you need to accomplish that morning, be it legal studies or real world work.

No comments: