Friday, May 12, 2006

School cafeteria nostalgia

Earlier this week, I prepared some moderately delicious meat and gravy over rice. I need to come up with a flashier name. Back in my Elon Elementary days, it was called "Beef Tips on Rice" but as I was just using stew meat, it didn't seem appropriate.

To prepare said dish, I dredged a pound of stew meat in a flour/garlic powder/onion powder/thyme/salt/pepper mixture, then browned the meat in a few tbsp of oil over medium heat. Remove the meat from the pan and add one chopped onion. After a few minutes, add about 1 1/2 c of sliced mushrooms (I used crimini, my fave). Then I added 3 minced garlic cloves. I then added the meat back to the mixture, and tossed in about a 1/2 c of red wine. I allowed that to cook for one minute, then added 1 1/2 cans of low-sodium beef broth. Allow the mixture to reach a bubble, to let the flour do its work. The mixture tasted a bit bland at this point, so I added a bit more salt/pepper and another splash of wine. What I needed was a splash of worcestshire, but I was out, so I improvised. I threw in about a tbsp of red wine vinegar, and that seemed to cut the cloying fatty beefy taste. I served the reasonably tasty but not particularly appealing to the eye mixture over some fluffy long-grain rice. A very comforty, Tuesday night kind of meal.

No comments: