Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The world's fattiest cake

Mmm....like any good Southerner, I HEART pound cake. Sour cream pound cake to be precise. And even better is a BIG sour cream pound cake. I got a new issue of Southern Living and it included a sour cream pound cake recipe, and I happened to have all the ingredients, so I said, "why not?"

First, you cream THREE sticks of butter with THREE cups of sugar. Then you add SIX eggs. Then some almond and vanilla extracts.* Then add alternatively 8 oz of sour cream and THREE cups of flour, some baking soda, and salt. Pour this loveliness into a bundt or tube pan and bake at 325 deg. for about 90 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then cool on a rack. Then eat a lot of it. Until your heart begins to hurt from the butter and eggs.



* The recipe called for lemon extract. I hate lemon in baked goods unless they are SUPPOSED to be lemony - lemon bars and the Barefoot Contessa lemon cake. Those are luscious. But this newfangled compulsion with adding lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract, lemon curd, lemon stems, lemon trees, lemon bark, lemon fungus, lemon bugs, lemon WHATEVER to anything makes me crazy. Sometimes things don't need to be "brighter" or "tangier" or "lemonier." And don't get me started about mixing chocolate and orange, a classic combo that makes me want to honk.

No comments: