Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Channeling the Southwest

Although I've posted on chili before, I've modified my recipe (as I do almost everytime I prepare almost anything I cook). I made some rockin' chili last night, served with some rockin' Jiffy corn bread. Here's a refresher:

To prepare said chili, brown 1 lb of ground chuck* in a dutch-oven style pot over medium head. Halfway through the browning, add 2 chopped yellow onions and 1 chopped pepper (red or green) and lightly salt. Once the meat is cooked and the vegetables are softened, add 3 cloves minced garlic, a handful of chili powder, 2 tsp cumin, another dash of salt, some pepper, some red pepper flakes, and cayenne to taste. Add a tiny dash of cinnamon (no more than 1/4 tsp). Stir well, and allow the spices to hit the heat. Add 14 oz. diced tomatoes, 14 oz. crushed tomatoes, and 2-3 tbsp tomato paste. Once the tomatoes have heated, add some frozen corn, black or kidney beans, or any other additions. Allow the chili to simmer for at least 15 minutes (30 is better). Serve with any toppings you like - onions, sour cream, cheese, jalapenos.


* You may sub ground turkey (shudder) or shredded chicken breasts or thighs (delightful!)

No comments: