Monday, April 17, 2006

The Ham has risen....all rejoice!


So, due to the ultimate sacrifice of a porcine savior, R and I enjoyed a delicious Easter feast of baked ham, hash brown casserole, roasted asparagus, and zuccotto. It was a Food Network frenzy.


Alton provided the ham. We used SoCo instead of bourbon (it may be a type of bourbon come to think of it) since we didn't have real bourbon and we have 2 handles of SoCo. Note - two people don't need to have an 8 pound ham. We will be eating ham until next Easter.

Ina Garten provided the asparagus. I added a handful of freshly grated parmesan cheese at the end. Mmm.

Giada provided the zuccotto. I used angel food cake instead of pound cake, and I would recommend any number of other "cake-like" substances to substitute as well - soft ladyfingers, etc. It was delish.

The hash brown casserole was your classic "potatoes, onions, cheese, sour cream, cream of whatever soup, cornflakes" masterpiece. Mmm. Many thanks to my aunt L for preparing that for a number of football parties thereby addicting to me to the HBC's siren call.

PS - I enjoy pretty flowers!

3 comments:

eirishis said...

Now, we are in my wheelhouse. I try to refrain from editing my sister's knowledge, as she is a far better cook than me. But liquor? Liquor I know.

Southern Comfort, in short, USED to be bourbon, odd as that sounds, but has never been a bourbon itself. It is spiced, whiskey flavored liquor, and when first created over 100 years ago, bourbon was the base spirit for the liquor. Nowadays, it is based on neutral spirits, except for Southern Comfort Reserve, which is a blend of regular SoCo and 6 year bourbon.

Wind Trapper said...

Is "whiskey flavored liquor" similar to "meat-flavored vegetables" (i.e. the Southern favorite, collard greens?)

Jules said...

i like ham.

and whiskey.

i esp. liked whiskey last thurs night.

friday hurt.