Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving part 1 - turkey breast

Holy schmoley, it's been a while since I posted. Sorry for that. It's been a weird month. Nonetheless, the mecca of holiday feasting, Thanksgiving, was recently upon us. In installments, I will (without pics, sadly) explain how it went down.

First off, we had a turkey breast (turkey will be discussed later). R and I decided to experiment a bit and brine the turkey before roasting it. Relying loosely on an Alton recipe, I heated about 2 qts of water with about a 1/2 c of kosher salt, 1/4 c of brown sugar, and a tbsp of peppercorns. I allowed that to cool and then poured it into a large stock pot in the sink, cushioned the pot with ice, and put the turkey breast in. I replaced the ice throughout the morning and let the turkey float in its brine for about 4 hours before thoroughly rinsing it, buttering it up, and putting it in its baking dish. Once at the Thanksgiving final destination of the brother-in-law, it got baked for about 2 1/2 hours and was LUSCIOUSLY moist and tender and perfectly seasoned. Would highly recommend doing, and will likely do it to an entire turkey next year. Thumbs up on brining.

No comments: