Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving part 3 - Gravy

As mentioned, the gravy was quite tasty. Some of this can be put down to homemade stock. There really IS a difference, although, it is a PIA if you don't have poultry carcasses lying around. I also contend that allowing the drippings to pool around lovely roasting onions/garlic/herbs helps a lot. After the turkey(s) were finished, I strained out the vegetables and flotsam, and put the roasting pan and its dripping back on the stove top on medium high. I added a large knob of butter, probably equally around 1 c of liquid drippings total. I tossed in probably a half cup of flour and made a lovely roux. After said roux had cooked adequately to erase raw flour tastes, R helped me add probably 3/4 of a gallon of the stock along with some wine, salt, and pepper. I cooked this until thickened and serve. We had a LOT of gravy obviously, but it was really good!

No comments: