Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving part 5 - sweet potatoes

So, I discovered that my in-laws do not generally enjoy sweet potatoes. No problem, I'll skip them in the future. That being said, I'm still working on a large casserole of sweet potatoes, so I'm feeling a bit bitter. :)

For said sweet potato casserole, I relied on a Tyler Florence recipe. I roasted 6 medium sweet potatoes in a 375 deg oven for about 40 minutes. I then tossed in four bananas and continued to roast for another 15 minutes. I then put them in the ol' Kitchenaid and whipped them up with a stick of butter, about 2 tbsp of honey, a large handful of brown sugar, and some cinnamon, nutmeg, and some salt. Actually, a LOT of cinnamon and nutmeg because they smelled kinda bland. I smushed them into a large oval casserole dish then made a butter/brown sugar/pecan/cinnamon praline topping. They got baked (heehee) for about 35 minutes in a 375 deg oven.

They were pretty good, although I would probably not do them with the bananas again, it added a strange taste to some bites. And blackened bananas were a bit rude to look at on my countertop. R was a bit startled when he saw them.

No comments: