Monday, June 23, 2008

Cheesecake nightmare

So, again, I had a huge craving for cheesecake on Sunday. I dashed off to the store to get cream cheese and graham crackers to make said cheesecake. It was a wasted effort. This cheesecake was bad news.

Things started off poorly. I had intended to use Ina Garten's cheesecake recipe - a recipe I've made several times in the past with usually good results. HOWEVER, when I got home from the grocery store, I realized I only had two pounds of cream cheese, not two and a half pounds. So, I did some research and came across this Emeril recipe that required only two pounds of cream cheese. Little did I know that using this recipe would put me on a path to horrifying cheesecake.

It started off innocently - butter, sugar, cinnamon, and graham cracker crumbs are baked off to form the crust.
Then our creamy core - 4 packs of cream cheese (the butter went into the crust, but it wanted to pose with its fatty friends):
Blend blend blend the CC with sugar, eggs, vanilla, etc. This is where the recipe started to get weird - I've never made a cheesecake with flour in it.
Pour into crust...bake...
The recipe said 55 to 1 hour 10 min. After 55 min, the cheesecake was slightly less brown than here but was still REALLY jiggly. This is after 65 minutes - it was so burned I knew it had to come out, but it was still fairly jiggly.
My husband cut off the top of the cake, to reveal the mealy grossness underneath.
Here is a slice of this hell-cake. It was NOT good. It did not taste like cream cheesy goodness. It tasted like yuck on a plate.
Sigh. Will go back to my good friend Ina from now on....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I am sorry your cheesecake did not turn out well, it makes me the teeniest tinest bit happy that not all your receipes turn out perfectly (since 99.9% of them do)! Welcome to my world :)