Friday, June 06, 2008

Summery dessert?

Well, I don't know if these are ENTIRELY summery, but they will be delicious, oh yes, I know they will. Nothing makes me happier than cake with ice cream. I just love it. And I love ice cream cakes. But only the ones that actually have CAKE in them. Rolling some ice cream in cookie crumbs and forming into a cake-like patty is NOT an ice cream cake in my book. No way.

I'm relying on a method I picked up from Baking Bites. But unlike our friend at BB, I'm not making the cake from scratch nor the frosting. Am just too lazy. So, box cake mix and canned frosting, here I come.

First, I had to make the ice cream layers. I made two cakes - one will be chocolate cake/chocolate frosting/vanilla ice cream. The other will be white cake (well, Funfetti) with white frosting and strawberry ice cream. Thus, the molds:
Then, I baked the cakes.
And then I assembled and took a stab at icing them after everything was cool. Here we have our strawberry/funfetti concoction:
And the very ugly, but fairly tasty chocolate version:

Lessons learned - frosting does not want to stick to ice cream. Use a flat plate or a rotating stand. Frost cake better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The strawberry/funfetti cake looks AMAZING!

Speaking of ice cream cakes, my new find this summer is ice cream "cupcakes" from DQ. They are individual-sized portions of their ice cream cake! And they are delish.