Friday, February 10, 2006

Accusation of Acute Slackery

I've been accused of slacking, so today's food o' choice - mushrooms.

I like mushrooms. I don't have a deep LOOOVE of mushrooms, but they are wonderful flavor accents for many dishes. I've tried many a mushroom, and my favorites are the crimini (see photo left), portabella (in small doses), and porcini (right). The porcini especially go a lot further when mixed with regular old button mushrooms, which absorb a lot of the stronger mushroom's flavor.

You can also get into your more "exotic" mushrooms - that don't even look like mushrooms - morel (brown on the left), oyster (white and funky on the right), or chanterelle (weirdo looking peachy one on the left)

What do I do with mushrooms? A lot. They add a bit of earthiness to your ho-hum chicken noodle soup. They absorb all the lovely juices of a good stir fry (mix garlic, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, olive oil, and some hoisin sauce for a good stir fry sauce). My favorite place to somewhat showcase the mushroom's loveliness is in a mushroom risotto. For a starter recipe, I recommend Giada De Laurentiis (who else?) Mushroom Risotto with Peas. I, however, often use crimini (they are easier to find sometimes), and add in a hefty splash of half'n'half or cream at the end to make it just that much richer and creamier. Risotto is not tricky, you just have to devote the time to stirring and taking things slowly. But it is fabulous. I may have to make some soon. Try red wine as well.

A haiku for the mushroom:

You are so earthy

Fungus of the dirty land

Can you get me high?

1 comment:

Jules said...

i LURVE the haiku.