Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Crockpot Dreams

So, I love my red Crockpot. It rules. But I rarely use it, because I'm unsure of myself when it comes to crocking. However, Southern Living (subscription usually required) recently ran a series of "Slow Cooker" recipes, including desserts, soup, and the dish I prepared yesterday, Beef with Red Wine Sauce. The house smelled DELICIOUS when I got home. I had to tweak the recipe (of course), but I think it tasted pretty good. As I said to Jules, the poor man's boeuf bourguignon.

To prepare said one-crock wonder, take a 2-3 lb slab of chuck and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place in crock. Roughly chop 1 onion, place in crock. Add 1 8 oz. package of sliced mushrooms, or the equivalent. Place in crock. In a separate bowl, mix 1 package of brown gravy mix, 2-3 tbsp tomato paste, 1 can beef broth, and 1 to 1 1/2 c dry red wine (I got some $5.99/bottle Zin). Pour over meat in crock. I gave it a stir too. I also would suggest adding about a half tsp of beef bouillon, a tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, and a healthy dose of salt and pepper. You can set the Crock on High for 6 hours, or as I did, on Low for about 10-11 hours. Serve over rice or noodles.

I have a fabulous, quasi-romantic meal planned for tonight...but it shall be revealed tomorrow morning....peace out.

No comments: