Monday, February 13, 2006

Weekend Report

Hola. I speak Spanish because Friday's dinner was TACOS! YEEAH! WOOHOO! Not very exciting culinarily, but they were quite tasty. We roll soft-shell style in the L.C.

Saturday we had our romantic (gag) Valentine's dinner....delicious filet from the Fresh Market accompanied by the wild mushroom risotto with peas mentioned previously. MMM! We actually used some exotic mushrooms - the bulk of the 'shrooms were crimini, but we also used dried porcini, shittake, woodear, chanterelle, and something else...some of the reconstituted mushrooms looked like ears, so I got wigged out, but the rest were quite tasty. Am having leftovers for lunch today as a matter of fact. We also enjoyed the B.C.'s Outrageous Brownies and a delightful zin by Bogle. I love me some Zin.

Yesterday, neither of us felt like making breakfast or lunch so we SLAMMED some $1 menu items from McDonald's. V. heart healthy. For dinner, we made some delish spaghetti and meatballs. Mmm. I HEART the Spicy Tomato & Pesto sauce from Classico. I mixed that with some Sweet Basil Marinara for a delightful sauce.

For the meatballs, I mixed 1 egg, 1/4 c. milk, and about 3/4 c. seasoned bread crumbs in a bowl. I then added 1 lb. of ground chuck with 2 links of hot Italian sausage wrenched from its casing. I finely chopped half an onion and 2 cloves of garlic and added that to the mix. Then some salt, pepper, and a healthy handful of Parmesan cheese was tossed in. The ingredients were mooshed together, rolled into walnut-sized balls (she said balls!) then quickly seared in a bit of olive oil over medium heat, then popped in a 375 deg. oven for about 20 minutes. Then I add in the sauce to incorporate all the lovely fatty meat juices and cook that for a bit before serving over pasta.

No comments: