Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Shower Madness

R and I played host and hostess to the baby shower on Saturday. We did fairly simple food. A cake from the Suisse Shop bakery (of M&R wedding fame), savory summer pie, blueberry muffins, and a fruit platter courtesy of the mother-to-be's fam.





I heart the savory summer pie - a quiche without pretension - that uses fresh ingredients. My dad always makes these with fresh garden tomatoes and basil. I was able to use my own basil, but my tomatoes bit the dust this year and just did NOT thrive. I bought some lovely tomatoes from the downtown Farmer's Market. I jazzed mine up with some of last week's ham as well. I also used the pre-made pie crusts from Yutzy's, which were really REALLY good. The muffins were nice as well, although, unless you have the 6 qt Kitchenaid, do NOT attempt a double batch at one time. That almost led to muffin batter engulfing my kitchen.


The cake, as always, was superb. Very VERY moist, and their buttercream is incredible. A lot of buttercream tastes too, well, buttery. Like eating a stick of butter. Which is unappetizing. But this does not. The cake is lightly almond flavored. The raspberry filling cuts the richeness of both cake and icing. Mmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may have dreams about this cake

Mo said...

Mmmm... cake. I miss that cake!