Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tzatziki dreams

Yeah, we love us some gyro action. Last night (and leftover tonight! a repeat performance!) featured more chicken gyros. Rather than bore you (I'm quite self-aware) with more pics of gyros, I decided to focus a bit more on my tzatziki sauce. I heart it. Over the last year, I've honed in on what we really enjoy in a tzatziki - I've kept the heart of it intact, at least I think - yogurt, cucumber, etc. But I've added some items.

First, we must drain our yogurt. Here we have a small container of plain, nonfat yogurt in a coffee filter, in a sieve, placed over a bowl. I used to always use Greek yogurt until I read the label and realized I could eat a carton of ice cream for the same amount of fat (not really, but seriously, who knew they could put that much fat in yogurt).The yogurt drained all day and this is what came out of one small container. Gross. More will come out if you let it drain longer.Now we begin work on the cucumbers. You don't want them to eek out juices and make your now dry-ish yogurt juicy again, so I scrape the seeds out of half an English cucumber like so:Then slice into thin sticks. You can grate it, but I like to have crunchy cucumber bits.
Then chopping the sticks into tiny bits.
So, after this exposition on cucumber chopping, you mix your small cucumbers with your yogurt, about 1/4 c sour cream, some salt, some pepper, a healthy dose of dill (I use about a teaspoon dried, more if fresh), a big splash of red wine vinegar (probably around 1 1/2 or 2 tbsp), and I go ahead and throw in my feta cheese directly into the tzatziki sauce - probably 3/4 c of crumbled feta. And there you have it. The Irish girl's tzatziki.

No comments: