Thursday, May 08, 2008

BBQ

I kicked off the May monthly menu planner with a bang - shredded pork sandwiches.

Here is our lovely pork shoulder. It will soon spend many an hour in the slow cooker.
Here is the base of the spice rub - garlic powder, chili powder, salt, paprika, cumin, and cayenne. I forgot brown sugar, and luckily remembered right before the pork went into the fridge overnight. YOU MUST HAVE BROWN SUGAR! quite a lot of it actually. I rubbed this spice mix onto the pork shoulder and let it sit overnight.
Meanwhile, I concocted a sauce - apple cider vinegar, chili sauce, some ketchup, a few garlic cloves, some Worcestershire...maybe a drop of beer? I don't know. It was on the fly.
After a day in the cooker, the pork was easily shredded by fork.
And served with some macaroni salad, CORN, and some of its own sauce (boiled in a pan until thick).

No comments: