Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summer eatings

Sorry for the lack of posts of late - things were bananas at work and then we had the amazing wedding in D.C.

Nonetheless, there has been a small amount of cooking going on. For example, I sliced a lovely watermelon and devoured the bulk of it in a 2-day time frame.Additionally, I made a macaroni salad (served with grilled sausages and baked beans).
For said mac salad, I made a dressing of 1 c mayo, 1/4 (ish) c cider vinegar, 1/2 c sugar, 2 1/2 tbsp prepared mustard, salt, and pepper. I diced up about 1 c of ham, 1 bell pepper, 4 green onions, and 4 stalks of celery. I also threw in 3 grated carrots and a large handful of frozen peas. I prepared 1 1/2 pounds of elbow macaroni in salted water, tossed that with the dressing and then added the veggies. I gave it about 3 hours to chill before eating. It was quite tasty - and a good way to get some needed veggies into a husband who refuses to eat green things. If/when I make it again, I'll probably drop the pasta amount by about a 1/4 lb. to maximize the veggie impact. You could also probably add some diced hard-boiled egg to up the protein ante.

No comments: