Thursday, May 08, 2008

Derby pie

My aunt and uncle gave me a fun cookbook for my birthday in March, and in it was a recipe for Derby Pie. I decided to bust it out last weekend.

For any pecan pie, you generally make a filling with butter, eggs, corn syrup, and sugar. And pecans, obviously. For this pie, which is a chocolate AND nut pie, you also add chocolate. And I added a splash of vanilla for kicks.

Pour into an unbaked 9 inch pie shell and begin the decorative pecaning. Yes, I said pecaning.
Voila - a while later, you get pie! This guy went about 3 min too long, but the pie still tasted pretty darn good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's two pies this month... I'm sensing a trend :)

This looks delicious... I love pecan pie, but I don't think I've ever had a Derby pie.

It's also timely since the KY Derby was this month. Although I don't think the two have anything to do with each other...