Monday, July 14, 2008

Chocolate chip cookie experiments continue...

I'm still on a quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie. Everyone has their opinions, but what I want is a soft, but not too soft, cakey, but not too cakey, crisply-edge cookie with a not-too-sweet chocolate chip inside. I also personally want nuts, but I know a lot of people are anti-nut. So, I am still experimenting. This recipe was pretty good, especially the chocolate, but it still isn't quite what I'm looking for. The hunt continues. In the meantime...

I creamed 2 sticks of butter with a 3/4 c each of brown and white sugar. And some vanilla. Here it is at first:


Then a few minutes later - see the color change:


Now, all the dry ingredients and the lovely chocolate chips and nuts were added:

I used a mini ice cream scooper and baked about half the batch - these took a little less than 9 minutes per batch in my oven:


Now, you may notice, some of the cookies look different. I made about 2/3 of them on insulated baking sheets. Those spread out and became flat and normal looking. However, 1/3 were baked on a regular aluminum non-fancy sheets - and those did not spread and puffed up instead. V. interesting. Here they are in profile - on the left, insulated sheet, on the right, non-insulated sheet:


Even from above, they look different. The non-insulated sheet cookie looks normal, and its brother looks, well, just poofy and weird.

They still tasted good - but I did like the insulated sheet results better. Very interesting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/dining/09chip.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

An article about the quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie from the NYT

Crystal @ A Well-Feathered Nest said...

I heard something on NPR the other day with a tip to make the batter and put it in the refrigerator for up to 36 hours. It's supposed to make the dough more uniform and help the flavors spread throughout or something.

MBC said...

Iiiinteresting. I'll have to see if that improves this batch - I saved half the dough (because 2 people do not need that many cookies contrary to husband's opinion).