Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Hummingbird Cake

I've had many a Hummingbird Cake in my life, but hadn't thought about them in forever until this post on Cookie Madness. I had an itching to bake something, so I stopped at the store for relevant ingredients and threw it together at home. Although, I forgot one of the most relevant of relevant ingredients, eggs, so I had to make do with a two-layer cake instead of a three-layer monster cake. Sigh. Silver lining - more frosting for the remaining layers.

Here are the cake ingredients taking a spin - flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, oil, eggs, banana, pineapple, cinnamon...


Into the greased pans and the oven with the batter for 28 minutes:

While they cool, onto the icing! Mmm. Cream cheese and butter.

Frosting time - early stages:


And then heap all the rest of the frosting on top - yes, Virginia, that is an obscene amount of cream cheese frosting:

Tada! Oh wait, it's missing something...it's very rustic looking, no?

There we go....

Mmm...creamy fruity deliciousness....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this cake. I've actually never had Hummingbird Cake, which is quite shocking seeing as how I pride myself on eating a frightening array of sweets on pretty much a daily basis...

But, back to the cake... it was the PERFECT summertime cake. It was light yet satisfying, slightly fruity, and you just cannot beat a good cream cheese frosting.

Overall, I think this may tie the Brown Sugar Pound Cake as my favorite dessert you've made.... although I don't want to have to choose!

Elle said...

This cake was fab...it was definitely an all-year round sorta cake...very MOIST.