Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Buns of Joy

Ok, so luscious cinnamon buns will NOT lead to a toned new you, but they will induce slight euphoria and make your morning a bit brighter. And even better that I was able to bestow the gift of cinnamon buns as a surprise on several coworkers!

This recipe comes from the little cookbook that came with my Kitchenaid, which I inherited from my Dad, when he upgraded to the bigger model. First, you make a sweet yeast dough - mix two packets of yeast with 3/4 c warm water. Meanwhile, heat one stick of butter, 1/2 c sugar, and 3/4 c milk in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Begin mixing the yeast and water with 3 eggs and 5 c AP flour, then add the milk mixture (allow it to cool slightly). Mix with the dough hook for about 3 minutes, slowly adding another 1/2 c to 1 1/2 c flour, until the dough forms a smooth ball that clings to the hook and cleans the bowl. Continue mixing another 2-3 min. Remove from the hook, knead by hand a few times, then put into a greased bowl, covered with a clean towel, and place it somewhere warmish to rise for an hour.

While it rises, you can make the cinnamon filling. Mix 1 stick of softened butter, 1 c of brown sugar, 1/2 c white sugar, 1 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 c to 3/4 c chopped nuts.

Once the rising is done, roll out the dough ball to a big rectangle (the recipe says 10 inches by 30 inches, mine is usually more like 12 x 24, I get lazy) and spread the cinnamon filling. Roll up the dough longways, then slice in 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch rounds. Place in a greased baking dish and allow to rise, covered with a dish towel, for another hour.* Then bake at 350 deg for 30 minutes (start checking at 25 min though, my huge buns were done at 30).

While baking, you'll want to prepare a glaze. Now, you can go fancy and make a caramel glaze. I do not, however, think that is necessary and instead opt for a plain powdered sugar glaze - 2 c powdered sugar, a few tbsp milk, a teeny dash of vanilla - just whisk until it is spoonable. Pour, ooze, dribble, whatever over the warm buns.


*At this point, I typically let it rise for about 20 to 30 minutes, then cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge to bake the next day. I then take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temp (or at least slightly warm up) before popping in the oven - you may have to add no more than 5 minutes to the baking time if you let it warm up for 15 minutes or more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of being one of the coworkers surprised with a delicious cinnamon bun yesterday, and I can honestly say it was the highlight of my day

Jules said...

buns of joy. that should be a tape. oh wait, i'm sure it is a tape. a dirty tape.

just kidding. i would like a cinn bun.

Mo said...

Did you by any chance get inspired by Paula? Cause I've been thinking of cinnamon rolls since I saw her show yesterday. She brushed extra butter on hers as she was eating it. It was funny!

Wind Trapper said...

Nah, I just really love these buns. My dad has been making them for us since he got the mixer, back when I was in, oh, maybe 6th grade? I heart them.