Monday, June 04, 2007

Dinner on the Barbie

For a lovely summery evening, I prepared a lovely summery meal of Tequila Lime chicken and black beans and rice. For Ina's TL chicken, you marinade chicken breasts (I use boneless, skinless because that's what I usually have on hand) in tequila, OJ, lime juice, chili powder, garlic, salt, pepper, and in my case, some cayenne in place of a jalapeno, b/c I have problems operating peppers. Marinate as long as possible, then grill. Delish.


For my black beans and rice, which is actually more like black beans, onions, peppers, corn, and rice - saute two onions (chopped) in a small amount of olive oil over medium heat until softened, then add one chopped bell pepper, 3-5 garlic cloves (minced), some cayenne or red chili pepper flakes, LOTS of cumin (at least a tablespoon, more, I happened to run out), salt, pepper, and 2 cans of rinsed and drained black beans. On a whim I tossed in a big handful of frozen corn kernels. This was also quite tasty. If I'd had a can of diced tomatoes, or some fresh plum tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, I'd have thrown that in as well, towards the end of cooking. Serve with rice, although it is good plain, or in a salad.

No comments: