Monday, June 18, 2007

Hillbilly quiche

So, I decided to start watching Paula Deen again, after taking a very long break from her show. She wasn't really bugging me, but I just got tired of seeing her and Michael having romantic breakfasts in their bathrobes. It kind of gave me the willies. But anyways, I started DVRing new episodes and on Saturday, I watched an episode all about breakfast. I skipped over the grits/sausage/egg parfaits, as grits horrify me, and the omelettes were fascinating in their strangeness. The hash brown breakfast quiche, however, did catch me eye, and I embarked on making it Sunday morning with ingredients at hand. I'd purchased a few bags of frozen hashbrowns during an acute craving a few weeks prior, so randomly, I had those in my freezer.

First, you mix 3 c of thawed hash browns with half a stick of melted butter, salt, and pepper. Press into a pie dish.







Bake at 450 degrees for about a half hour until crisp and golden. I ended up turning the broiler on to get it nice and brown. Allow the crust to cool slightly before filling.






Meanwhile, prepare the filling. 3 eggs, 1 c of half and half, crumbled breakfast meat of choice (bacon), veggies of choice (today, one small sauteed onion), and about 1 c of shredded cheddar cheese. I also added salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne. Pour filling into crust, reduce oven temp to 350 degrees, and bake until the egg is set, about 30 minutes.




Inhale. Beware, dogs apparently like this too. Daisy found her way onto the counter and ate some. :(

No comments: