Monday, July 02, 2007

Favorite school lunch

Well, apart from the pizza/french fry day that is. As R reminded me, TACO SALAD day was a big "buy your lunch" day at lots of elementary schools, mine included.* I also roundly enjoyed "chicken pot pie/green bean" day, but I digress.

After going with the lovely Miss A and Elle to El Arepazo for a fab Venezuelan lunch a few weeks ago (I don't know that it has its own website, see here, here, and here for more info) I was inspired by the tostada that I devoured to recreate something similar, albeit much more pedestrian and suburban and white-bread in my own home. Hence, the rise of the taco salad.

At its base, a bed of crunchy romaine. Contrary to what the picture portrays, there is a large amount of lettuce. Next, some lightly crunched tortilla chips. Next, a mixture of seasoned beef, onion, and black beans (again, was lazy and just used taco seasoning, what can I say, I heart it). Then prepared salsa, fresh tomatoes, shredded cheese, and a "dressing" of sour cream mixed with lime juice and some salt/pepper. I managed to get R to eat approximately 2 1/2 c of a green veg, so it was quite a meal accomplishment, even if that green veg was drowned in meat and cheese.

To forecast future blog entries, we're going to attempt a similar "saladization" of favorite foods this week with a Greek spin.

*I don't see taco salad on my local elementary school lunch menu per se. However, there are listings for "nachos with ground beef, cheese, lettuce and tomato and a tortilla" AND "soft taco with nacho chips." Also, a "BBQ ribbette on bun?" What is a ribbette?

1 comment:

Mo said...

Seriously? You don't remember the ribette? Meat like substance pressed into the shape of ribs without any bones all thrown on a bun iwth some sauce? You were sheltered I tell you, sheltered.