Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Beef and cheese

Because I so very deeply loved the new Einstein's sandwich, I felt compelled to attempt my own version of the cheesesteak panini at home. R loves cheesesteak and I love paninis, so here goes.




First, I spent a long time carmelizing 2 onions.





Then, I roasted a red pepper. To the left, the innocent red pepper before roasting. To the right, the deliciously blackened and roasted pepper. To accomplish this change, either place the pepper directly on the burner of a gas stove until blackened on all sides OR if you are like me and have electric through no fault of your own, simply put it in a 400 degree oven, rotating every 5-8 minutes, until reasonably blackened. If you do it in the oven, do not let it get all the way black, or else it will be too mushy. Once you have roasted it, place the hot pepper in a brown paper bag or under a bowl (my usual MO) for 10 minutes to allow steam to loosen the skin. Peel back the skin and slice!

I also roasted asparagus to serve on the side. Wash and cut the asparagus, coat lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for about 12-15 minutes depending on the size of the asparagus.



Finally, the paninis. For our luscious sandwiches, we layered deli roast beef, munster, provolone, roasted peppers, onions, and creamy horseradish sauce mixed with some mayo on lovely ciabatta bread. Then we placed said creations onto the panini grill, and grilled them until the meat was heated through and the cheese melted. Then we plated 'em up with the asparagus and devoured them.

No comments: