Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Gyros....the pressed meat lives on....

So we finally wrapped up round 2 of the gyros last night - I shook things up a bit by making what basically turned into a gyro salad. I mixed romaine, spinach, red bell pepper, tomatoes, green onion, a bit of feta, and chunks of the leftover gyro meat. I then took some of the remaining tzatziki sauce,* thinned it with a very small amount of red wine vinegar and a teeny drop of olive oil, and then used that as a dressing.

I have to say, not my very favorite meal, but hearty nonetheless and R enjoyed it. Sorry no photos - it wasn't very photogenic.


*I keep changing up the tzatziki. For this one, I used about a cup of nonfat plain yogurt, a big spoonful of sour cream, 3 tsp of red wine vinegar, 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil, a dash of salt, 4 minced cloves of garlic, 1 tsp of dried dill (fresh would be great), some black pepper, and a peeled, diced cucumber. I still contend Greek yogurt is the best - but it isn't a lowfat item necessarily. What I should have done, and what Alton's recipe calls for, is to drain the nonfat yogurt to get a thicker consistency. I'd still want to mix in some sour cream though - to give it a bit of tang.

No comments: