Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Food I like

R and I are yet again embarking on a healthier lifestyle (hence, the salads) but we still need some treats nor are we looking to starve ourselves. I'm really more about the exercise. But exercise and healthy eating go hand in hand. Anyways, I bought a few reasonably healthy purchases as of late that I really enjoy.

1) Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Nut bars, both peanut and almond. These are certainly not all day indulgences - they have some fat, calories, and carbs - but they are quite filling given all the nuts and nut butters. Definitely a lovely treat with a bit more protein than your typical candy bar.

2) Special K cereal, or its Kroger imitator, "Active Lifestyle" flakes. The imitator does a good job, so I won't complain about cutting costs by going generic.

3) Tribe Hummus - roasted garlic flavor. I enjoy the roasted garlic, but another company makes it with artichokes which I LURVE! Throw in some pita and you have a happy little lunch.

4) Peanut M&Ms. Ok. Not a diet food. BUUUT, since I have a modicum of self-control from time to time, it is a good respite from the diet - I can eat 5 M&Ms and I don't feel bad and the chocolate craving goes away.

5) Zucchini with tomatoes and peppers. Slice some Z and red peppers in chunks, heat a pan with a bit of olive oil, toss in the Z and P over medium heat, toss around a bit until slightly softened, throw in a minced clove of garlic, salt, and pepper, then toss in one 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes (any variety - flavored, unflavored) and let simmer for another 5 minutes or so. Add a light sprinkling of parm and you're good to go.

No comments: