Monday, June 12, 2006

Sunday dinner

Yesterday was cold and rainy here in the 'bus, so I decided to take advantage of the dreariness to make a traditional Sunday roast. I made roast beef, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and of course, lovely beefy gravy with pan drippings. I won't regale you with the prep on the mashed potatoes or GBC, as everyone knows those.

I will however warn against buying anything other than an eye of round roast or higher cut of beef . The local grocer did not have any eye of round roasts out, so rather than ask, I went for some other cut that looked reasonable and was still a 'round.' Bleck. 1) It took forever to cook and 2) even after about an hour and a half for a 2.5 pound roast, it will still freakishly rare. Now, I'm coming around on not nuking my meat. I'll even go so far as medium rare on a good cut of meat. But not on this thing. I felt like I was eating my own tongue, it was that rare. R liked it, but I will have to broil the heck out of leftovers to get it to the point where I can tolerate it.

We have many options with the leftovers, beyond just repeating the mashed/GBC/beef option. My dad "invented" a way to re-use leftover roast beef - mix it with boxed wild rice and serve with a vegetable. V. tasty. Also, we can make fajitas, steak sandwiches, or a stir fry. We'll see how the meat holds out!

No comments: