Friday, June 30, 2006

Friday breakfasts

As some may know, at R's work, the staff take turns bringing in breakfasts on Fridays. Most are extremely lame. We are the king and queen of awesome breakfast, a difficult title to maintain over the few years we've been participating. Our first breakfast featured Paula Deen's Baked French Toast Casserole and this is the dish that led to several more breakfast victories. We decided to return to this old favorite today, along with some other dishes.

The progression of the french toast casserole - slice the bread into a 9 x 13 casserole. Make a lame attempt to layer it decoratively. This won't really matter b/c it will be covered with deliciousness later on.

Pour the egg, cream, and spice custard over top. Allow to soak overnight. It will seem like a ridiculous amount of eggyness. Do not fret.

Top with praline (brown sugar, butter, pecans, cinnamon, nutmeg) topping. Bake until crunchy and brown.

We also made blueberry scones with a lemon glaze, a Tyler Florence recipe. These came out really well, except for the fact that I don't see how you can possibly add the blueberrries to the dough without smashing them - ergo, we were forced to add them to the lumpen forms of scones in a haphazard way. Oops, we smashed a blueberry or two. Oh, and even though I doubled the recipe, it makes WAAAAAY too much glaze for my taste. I seriously have approximately 1 1/2 c of glaze leftover in my fridge. I assume you are not supposed to actually dunk the scones in such a lemony glaze, so I have no idea if either I messed up and made 4 times the amount of glaze (unlikely, I hate squeezing lemons) or the recipe has an insane amount of glaze.

Finally, to lighten things up just a tad, a traditional summer fruit salad mix - watermelon, nasty honeydew, cantaloupe, strawberries, and blueberries. Notice its precarious position on the countertop. Notice the balling.

PS - Blogspot is ticking me off. I seriously typed 20 spaces between the FTC and scone discussion, and it is still jamming them together.

No comments: