Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Rejuvenating chicken

As I said to my friend M last night, I had a pair of sad looking chicken breasts in the fridge. I'd poached them, just because they needed to be cooked, then again neglected them for a few days. I hated to let them go to waste, so I decided to attempt to "rejuvenate" them and put them in a salad. I put the chicken breasts in a small saucepan with one can of chicken broth, the juice of one orange and one lemon, and the juiced hulls of said fruit. I then set it on low heat for about 20 minutes, then let it "steep" in the mixture for another 15 or so. I chopped my freshened-up chicken breasts and put them over a half of a Fresh Express "Asian" salad. The orange and lemon from the chicken worked with the Sesame Orange dressing in the salad.

** Salad update **

I'm now on day 2 of this salad. I have to say it is a pretty good bagged salad mix. It has mixed greens (my only complain is that there seems to be a lot of iceberg, which is blah, but whatev), won ton strips, dried cherries, and snap peas. With a sesame orange dressing that's pretty good. Yeah, I could do it better myself, but for $2.50 at the store, and I get two lunch-sized portions out of it. Add some "rejuvenated" chicken breasts and you're all set.

Anyways - if you have sad looking leftover meats, perhaps this can work!

No comments: