Wednesday, January 04, 2006

My love of red pepper flakes

Although I'm not a freak, like my brother, who can tolerate things as spicy as they possibly can be, I do ROUNDLY enjoy red pepper flakes in a lot of recipes. Chicken, beef, pork, green beans, broccoli, pasta (sigh), potatoes...everything benefits from the introduction of red pepper flakes. The best way to gradually introduce red pepper flakes is through a chili oil, a very easy recipe. Put a cup or so of olive oil in a heavy pot, add a few teaspoons (or more) of red pepper flakes, heat to a simmer for 5-10 minutes, then let the mix cool. Bottle and keep for a month or so. Here's an official recipe from the suspiciously thin Giada De Laurentiis. And many MANY thanks to my MOH in B-Lo for introducing me to this wild, wonderful flavor sensation.

I use this in tons of ways - I add garlic to the heated oil and use it as a marinade, or as a cooking oil for meats and vegetables. You can modify it with any herb - rosemary, thyme, etc. Use it for a dipping sauce or to make salad dressing. I heart it.

No comments: