Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A bistro in Ohio

We are so very French in our mannerisms, mais non? Mais oui? Mr. R has been BEGGING for French onion soup for ages now, so I decided I would finally indulge his craving (is he pregnant?) and pair that with some of the leftover Christmas ham in the freezer and make little ham sandwiches.

To make FOS, you must first slice a lot of onions. Here, we have six onions and TWO sticks of butter. Delish.

An hour later, here's the same six onions and two sticks of butter. Not a lot of color sadly. I think I needed a wider pan to get more color, but I was too lazy to schlepp down to the basement to get my electric skillet. We'll make do with pale onions.

Next, let's talk to our friends Wine and Vermouth. Hello ladies. Welcome to the party. I put about 1/4 flour in with our onions, then tossed in a mix totalling 2 cups of our alcoholic friends. Then I allowed that to reduce over low heat for 10 minutes.
Then you add your broth, in this case, homemade chicken stock. About 8-10 cups. And salt and pepper to taste. And cook for however long you want it to. While the soup was percolating, I toasted up some homemade croutons using some rando bread in the pantry. Cube bread, toss with a tiny bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet, toss in a moderate oven for pretty much any amount of time until dry and crusty and brown. The end. I also shredded some Swiss cheese. Gruyere is better, but it was not a splurge week.
Here we are - little ham sandwich alongside. I made a little mix of mayo and whole grain mustard to put on the sandwich which also featured some shredded cheddar. Delish. The end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like how you threw in "homemade chicken stock" in there again... showing off, eh?

That soup looks super. Ha.