Thursday, February 21, 2008

Chicken-phany

I had a chicken epiphany last night. I've seen numerous TV chefs extol the virtues of chicken thighs over chicken breasts in terms of flavor, juiciness, and price. While shopping this week, I looked at a packet of boneless skinless chicken breasts ($8) and a bigger packet of boneless skinless thighs ($2) and opted for the thighs, throwing caution to the wind. I'm not sure I can ever go back to the boring, white, dry breast meat again.

Here are our little thigh friends. Hello.
I brushed the chicken thighs with a mixture of 1 tbsp melted butter, 1 tbsp honey, salt, pepper, and about 1 tsp dry thyme. I repeated the brushing throughout the cooking process. These chicken thighs cooked at 400 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. Maybe more like 45. They were still VERY juicy. I wasn't quite sure how long they should go.
And finally, our finished meal, with a lovely baked potato from my ginormous 15 lb bag of baking potatoes (there was a weak moment at the store a while back) and some green beans. There was a lot of buttery thyme sauce (and chicken juice) at the bottom of the casserole so I spooned that over the chicken to serve. It was super delicious and I highly recommend chicken thighs!

No comments: