Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Romantic meal

Ok, maybe not. But it is good winter food and will put hair on your chest - CHILI! Of course, I've written of this before, but never before have I so annoyingly photographed my preparations!

First, I put about 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef in my big ol' pot with 3 chopped onions and a chopped bell pepper.
Next, we prepare our panopoly of spices. Chili powder, cumin, coriander, crushed red pepper, black pepper, salt (again not pictured, I really CANNOT get her in the picture)...
And garlic, we mustn't forget lots of garlic...
And the top secret (ok, so lots of people do this, but whatever) weapon - cocoa powder...Add these all to the pot and give 'er a stir and let the spices toast a bit.
Then you add 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, about 1 c chicken broth, a squirt or two of Worcestershire and let it simmer for a while.
Meanwhile, I rinsed and drained a 14.5 oz can of black beans and a can of light red kidney beans and got out some frozen corn to thaw.Add those to the pot, and let them heat through. For an added twist (and to clean out the pantry) I threw in about 1/3 lb of elbow macaroni. CHILI MAC! Once that was cooked to al dente, we were ready to serve with some sour cream and grated cheddar...

3 comments:

Jules said...

yummmmy. big ron usually dumps a can of beer in there as well. and sometimes some cinnamon.

i roundly support pasta in chili.

eirishis said...

Two kinds of beans?

FAIL.

Wind Trapper said...

I like beans. More than meat. I can sneak that past R. Fiber is our friend.