Monday, February 25, 2008

MORE anniversary cake

Well, since we are pigs, the cute cake didn't last forever (two days) so I had to ensure we had MORE cake for the actual anniversary. I saw this Praline Bundt cake recipe in Southern Living a few months ago and decided to give it a whirl. I heart bundts - it is a fun word to say - fun to eat - and the cakes go far because they are so rich. Particularly when encased with sugary icing.

First, we make the batter - butter, TONS of dark brown sugar, cream cheese, eggs, your normal dry ingredients, sour cream, and vanilla - and smooth it into a greased and floured 12-cup bundt. BUNDT!While the cake baked, I made the sugared pecans. I mixed most of an egg white with about 2 1/2 c of halved pecans with 1/4 each light brown sugar and white sugar and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.The baking sheet went into the oven under the cake for about 20 minutes until the pecans were dry and crispy.And then the cake was done. Hello naked cake. I whisked the cake away and hid it from Daisy in the laundry room.
After the cake cooled, R and I made the icing. Brown sugar, milk, and butter go in the pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute.Remove from heat, add powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir stir stir until thickened. Action shot.

Then have someone else pour it over the cake so you can take pictures. Everyone take pictures of what they are cooking, right?Also have this person assist you with putting the sugared pecans on top. Very important photography. The waterfalls of praline icing represent the futility of life or something.Ta da!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to be blessed with a slice of this cake and I have to say it goes on my list of best ever. For those who know my obsession with sweets, this is not a list to be taken lightly. HIGH praise.

Ahhh, the sweetness. The sugary-ness. The texture. It's all so good.