Friday, August 08, 2008

Breakfast for dinner

Mr. R was in a decidedly cranky mood this week, so I decided to lighten his spirits with a lovely breakfast for dinner night - and an excellent one at that. No namby-pamby pancakes for us! Only sausage gravy and potatoes will do! Puts hair on your chest!

First, I baked off several red potatoes while I was baking zucchini bread. Meanwhile, I got the sausage going:


Here are the 90% cooked potatoes, all chopped up and ready for a skillet:

Once the sausage was just shy of being fully browned, I added in 1/4 flour (this was too much for a "small" batch of gravy, just fyi - will use a bit less next time):


And stirred and stirred until the flour was cooked, then added in a hefty splash of milk:

Then Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper:


And then the thickening occurred...


Meanwhile, I'd sauteed some onions in a bit of olive oil, and tossed the potatoes in to crisp up a bit:


Mr. R prepared some eggs for himself, and then fixed his plate of glory - potatoes, biscuits, sausage gravy, and eggs. It was a fab dinner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have been cooking up a storm recently! getting ready for the frantic-ness of work that is inevitable next year which will result in leaving R to take-out?? :)

I love breakfast for dinner... its so comforting

eirishis said...

Whomp biscuits? FAIL.

You grew up in the South. Learn to make some g-d biscuits, woman. ;-)

/brother

MBC said...

I can make them! Ask Mo! I just didn't want to!

Mo said...

She totally can. Please see Biscuit bake-off entry for proof!